Your Opportunity to Bring Evidence-Based Medicine to the Developing World
Costello Medical provides scientific support to the healthcare industry in the analysis, interpretation and communication of clinical and health economic data. Through both commercial and charitable projects, we are dedicated to the improvement of health and healthcare globally.
In our unique Global Health Placement, in partnership with the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM), we are offering a student from a low- or middle- income country the opportunity to gain skills in evidence-based medicine by working on a healthcare problem relevant to his or her community.
About the Role
We will share our skills and knowledge in evidence-based medicine, medical communication and health economics by working together on a specific health problem from the student’s community. Past projects have included:
- Conducting a systematic literature review to assess the effect of bereavement care for parents after stillbirth in Ghana
- Creating an educational PDF about illegitimate drugs in Latin America
- Assessing the cost-effectiveness of cervical cancer screening in Kenya
Our ultimate goal is to support public health efforts in reducing the burden of disease in low- or middle-income countries and to provide a long-term solution to the need for evidence-based health policies.
The LSHTM-Costello Medical Global Health Placement will also support the student’s professional development, which we hope will allow them to train other local practitioners in evidence-based medicine after successful completion of the internship. We will provide technical expertise in evidence-based medicine and desk-based research so that the student can learn and take these skills back to their community. Specifically, you will gain experience in research, the design and presentation of deliverables and quality control.
You will need to identify and work on a project exploring and tackling a health-related issue relevant to your community; this may involve performing systematic searches of medical literature, assimilating clinical and cost effectiveness evidence, and analysing and creatively presenting data in a variety of formats.
The placement is six weeks to three months in duration depending on your availability. The start date is 23rd September 2020 and the successful candidate will be based at our London office.
Who We’re Looking For
The successful candidate should:
- Be a national of a low- or middle-income country, working or studying in a health-related profession, who will be able to use the skills gained during their internship to benefit their work and their own community.
- This could include early-career health practitioners, health-related charity or NGO workers, health researchers or other health professionals
- Have recently completed a degree at LSHTM
- Be educated in a health or science-related subject
- Be fluent in written and spoken English and have good numeracy skills
- Be able to prioritise own tasks and workload
- Have a “can do” approach, and initiative, positivity and creativity
- Be able to work in a team and with an excellent level of productivity
- Have permission to work in the UK by the proposed start date of the internship
It should be noted that the internship is not intended as a means to gain experience at a UK company with a view to gaining full-time employment at Costello Medical.
What We Offer
- A stipend of £1,420 per month for the duration of the placement
- Full technical support with the project and mentorship from a line manager
- Further opportunities for cultural exchange, such as giving presentations to those at Costello Medical and full integration into company life i.e. 2-week induction training sessions, attendance at company social events